Summary: Just as Jesus gave the Holy Spirit to the Apostles to go to the people, we are sent out to invite people into the life of Jesus.
The Mission Jesus Has Given Us
- “And Jesus came and said to [the eleven disciples], ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’” －Matthew 28:18-20
- From Mark, we can tell that Jesus called the disciples to fish for people, and to proclaim the message that “the time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; radically reorient, and believe in the good news.” (see Mark 1:14-15, 17; 3:14)
- Jesus told the disciples “Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day and that radical reorientation and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in [his] name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.” －Luke 24:46-48
- Jesus told the gathered disciples, “As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” － John 20:21
- Luke remembers Jesus telling the apostles in the beginning of Acts, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” －Acts 1:8
Prayers for Guidance
- Jesus, what am I to do?
- God, where do you want me to be?
- Holy Spirit, whom am I to speak with?
Life Application (Praxis): When you cannot attend worship on Sunday, pray one of the prayers for guidance. Rethink of Evangelism to be inviting people into a way of life rather than just an invitation to an event.